The favorite Backpackers formula is Hostel, for its price but also for its extraordinary atmosphere. A big part of the success of your trip depends on your hostel. Some sites allow you to book it (paying only 10% in advance) and provide lots of information to help you make the best choice. Here are some tips to avoid mistakes.
The hostels are unbeatable regarding the quality / price ratio. They are more comfortable and some even look like hotels. There is something for everyone. To be sure to choose a hostel that suits you, visit the following sites:
Read the reviews from your predecessors, it is often very informative and it helps to choose the best hostel suited to your needs. The rating given by travelers allows you to choose between dozens of hostels. All hostels are not equal, in terms of location, quality and atmosphere. Some hostels offer free activities such as walking tours or pub crawls, prefer a hostel with a common room where you can get to know other travelers. The majority of hostels have a kitchen where you can prepare food if the prices for eating out are too exorbitant.
To book your hostel via a website, you need a credit card. You only pay a 10% deposit at the time of booking. Then a confirmation is sent to you by email. Some hostels will ask it to you during your check-in but it’s pretty rare. However, print the confirmation because it includes the directions to get to the hostel, which is very convenient!
You must pay the remainder directly at the hostel, usually during your check in or your check out. You must also present your identity card or passport for check in.
In case of cancellation, 10% deposit is non-refundable. Usually, cancellations must be made directly with the hotel 24 hours before. Your no-show will result in cancellation of your booking and the application of a cancellation fee.
8 things you might not know about hostels
- Hostels do not offer only dorm rooms (quite cheaply), you can also opt for a private room
- Wifi is usually free and many establishments provide you with computers
- Breakfast can be included in the price (not always very good or sometimes early in the morning)
- Some hostels have their small restaurant or prepare a nice meal or a BBQ to eat together around a table
- For great rates, hostels can book excursions for you
- Hostels are often perfectly located in the city, sometimes not …
- You can find hostels in unusual buildings such as airplanes, old prisons, barges …
- Hostels give you tips on everything, including the nightlife, and some hostels even take you there… they are called party hostels.
2) Rent an apartment
Rent an apartment can be an economical and convenient solution.
- On-site Housetrip you will find all the popular destinations.
- The Airbnb platform is also a way to rent an apartment or other property of an individual, who puts his property available when not living there.
Another housing option, if you want to meet locals or if you find hostels too expensive, is the CouchSurfing. It is a network of travelers who offer free accommodation inviting you in their home on their couches or mattresses. This is an opportunity to share a moment with local, who will usually show you their favorite places in the city, and give you lots of tips. Similarly, Nightswapping allows you to benefit from free accommodation abroad for every night that you are hosting someone at your place. With GoCambio, it’s also free but the currency is the learning of a language.
Visit our “28 sites and apps to save money and even make money travel” to discover the best websites on the internet to reduce your accommodation budget.