La malbouffe américaine
Brownie Fudge du T.G.I. Friday
Beurre de cacahouette
No need to talk about food when it comes to American food. Fast foods are institutions in this country, famous for its junk food. So if you want to eat local, be ready to gain some weight. I’ve stayed several months in the USA and have tested many local restaurant chains, here are those that are unavoidable during a trip to the land of Uncle Sam…
In addition to the restaurant chains of all kinds, there are also more local restaurants called Dinners, often open 24h/24. You can eat anything there and in large quantities. There are also restaurant chains that offer almost all the same dishes : Applebee’s or Denny’s, for example. This is fat but so good! In addition , the decoration immerses you in the America of the 50s, with round stools and jukebox ! For a rock decoration , choose the Hard Rock Café and for a Hollywood decoration, Planet Hollywood.
My all time favorite: the Cheesecake Factory : food is European, the proportions are giant (take a doggy bag for the next day), it’s very classy and they give you a delicious grey bread to wait ! This is well worth the price you pay, a little higher than elsewhere, and the long queue. It’s better to book in advance.
Needless to say, but the burgers are really the BASE of their daily diet. So you’ll find them in each and every restaurant ! Regarding drinks, in addition to the traditional Coca-Cola , Sprite and Fanta, you will have the opportunity to test new sodas such as Root Bier (undrinkable) and Pink Lemonade (fluorescent pink colored).
The best channels for burgers :
- McDonald’s and Burger King, who needs no introduction.
- Wendy’s : this fast-food offers huge and traditional hamburgers.
- Chick- fil-A and KFC fast-food burgers with chicken only.
Of course, Americans are crazy about American pizzas, with a soft and thick pastry. Test the Cici ‘s Pizza, which offers a buffet of pizza for only $ 5! Also well known , the Domino’s Pizza and Pizza Hut, that we also have at home.
Another specialty of the U.S. : the chicken wings and its many sauces which can be very spicy ! There are many chains specialized in chicken wings, including Buffalo Wild Wings.
You’ll find the same Subways as we have, except they are MUCH CHEAPER .
Doughnuts are obviously the most popular breakfast. Americans also eat a lot of pancakes and they are fond of Peanut Butter on their toasts. You will find it difficult to find Nutella among all the pots of peanuts butter.
The best chains for breakfast :
- The Krispy Kreme is the best chain for doughnuts. In the Jacksonville , you see through the window the whole production process to make donoughts, and they are served a little bit hot. A feast !
- The Dunkin’ Donuts, you’ll find everywhere. Try the Pumpkin brownie is a killer!
The U.S. is also known for their desserts that are… AMAZING! They are often huge, so order it with friends. The most typical are:
- the Fudge Brownie, a warm brownie with a scoop of ice cream on top and chocolate or fudge. Take it at the T.G.I. Friday, it is a treat !
- cookies, big and soft inside. Pure happiness !
- the cheesecakes : you will find a variety of them in the restaurant chain Cheesecake Factories.
- for a lighter dessert take a frozen yogurt at Yogi Beri, which is generally accompanied by fruit, sweets or all sorts of other things. A delight !
- The Ben & Jerry’s ice cream ! And besides, some of the company’s profits are donated to a good cause.
- HUGE cakes which are always decorated. Notably, the Carrot Cake.