We wanted to visit the Balkans for years… We finally went in July 2013 for a truly memorable trip ! Since then, we recommend the Balkans to anyone we meet because this region has the advantage of bringing together everything you need for a perfect holiday : fortified ancient cities, small cobbled streets, the sun, the sea, beaches (but often pebble), breathtaking views, magnificent canyons to do rafting, waterfalls, cheap holiday, places with a poignant history, etc.
Here’s our route in the Balkans:
We recommend it! It was one of our best trips!
- Day 1: Arrival in Thessaloniki with Ryanair at 10:25. Visit the day.
- Day 2 : route from Thessaloniki to Ohrid through Florinta and Bitola. The journey takes about 5 hours, but hitchhiking may last longer because it is not easy to cross the border between Macedonia and Greece.
- Day 3: Ohrid (Macedonia)
- Day 4: Ohrid (Macedonia) – paragliding and boat trip to Sveti Neum + sunset on Gravice Beach
- Day 5: Road to Budva, passing briefly through Tirana in Albania. It takes a good day on the road (we did hitchhiking and bus… these are really cheap in Albania).
- Day 6: Budva & Sveti Stefan (Montenegro)
- Day 7: rafting in Tara River Canyon, returning directly to Kotor
- Day 8: Kotor (Montenegro)
- Day 9: Kotor
- Day 10: Road to Dubrovnik, visit
- Day 11: Dubrovnik to Mostar road
- Day 12: Mostar (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
- Day 13: Mostar – excursion to Kravice waterfalls
- Day 14: Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
- Day 15: Sarajevo
- Day 16: Road to Belgrade (Serbia)
- Day 17: Belgrade
- Day 18: Back in Belgium